cThe first Persona game I played was Persona 4 on the PlayStation 2 back in college. I thought it would be easy since I had an idea of Shin Megami Tensei’s gameplay since I’d played Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon.
Yet contrary to my assumptions, I was stumped by the Arcana mechanics in Persona 4 and could have used an Arcana Persona guide to have a better time gaming.
Things are different now, as I’ve successfully finished 3 Persona titles, Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4, and Persona 5. I even replayed P3P thrice and will be playing Persona 5 Royal soon. By now, you could even say that my skills in Persona have leveled up a lot. I went from only maxing out 4 to 5 Social Links in Persona 4 to 19 out of the 21 in Persona 5.
In light of this, I think I’m a pretty reliable gamer to discuss how Arcanas work in the Persona franchise. Who else but a fellow gamer who was initially dumbstruck by the system and eventually triumphed over it can best lead beginners in Persona, right?
Read also: Comprehensive Raidou Kuzunoha Guide.
Bottom Line Up Front
Generally speaking, the quality of a Persona game won’t change much, even if the player isn’t familiar with Arcanas. Cause even though Arcanas are comparable to Pokemon types, they don’t have fixed strengths and weaknesses. So anyone can play a Persona game without needing to be concerned about which Arcana their Personas in the party are from.
However, knowing about Arcanas and their purpose in the story will help you understand the overall lore of Persona and the specific title you’re playing on a deeper level. It isn’t a must, though, as it’s simply the player’s choice how much they want to immerse themselves in the story.
Cause for me, the Persona games stood out from others because of how relatable it was despite being full of supernatural elements. And if I were you, I’d want to get the full version of the game rather than a watered-down version.
Considering these points, you should take a look at this guide cause it summarizes the significance of each Arcana’s impact on Social Links and Personas.
What is Arcana?
Upon searching the word Arcana on Google, it’ll lead you to two answers. First is the outright definition, which is ‘secret.’ And second is the name of a group of cards in a Tarot deck. Both meanings are correct, but in the world of Persona, the term Arcana isn’t limited to just those two.
In relation to Social Links in Persona 3 to 4 and Confidants in Persona 5, the connected Arcana is essentially the type of person a character is in the game. What’s more, it also foreshadows how their relationship with the Protagonist will be.
For example, the Social Link or Confidant for the Magician Arcana tends to belong to the closest male friend or the ‘BFF’ of the Protagonist. This has been the case since Persona 3’s Kenji Tomochika, Persona 4’s Yosuke Hanamura, and Persona 5’s Morgana.
Now when you’re talking about the Arcana of Personas, it means the race of the Persona, kind of like a Pokemon’s type or element. You can familiarize yourself with them in this guide, as I’ve listed all the categories relating to Arcanas.
What’s the Use of Social Links or Confidants in the Persona Series?
Social Links or Confidants symbolize the relationship between the Protagonist and other characters in the story. Moreover, it is only by leveling up the Social Links or Confidants that the main character can accomplish 2 things:
- Forge a close relationship with a character, and unlock that character’s special skills that will help the MC in battle
- Gain a permanent increase in bonus experience points when fusing Personas of the same type. This means that the higher your rank with a Social Link or Confidant is, the higher the level of your Persona from their connected Arcana will be.
In Persona 3, P3P, Persona 4, and Persona 4 Golden, you will receive this notification when you unlock a Social Link with an Arcana for the first time:
You have established (character’s name) Social Link of the (the character’s arcana type) Arcana. You may earn an EXP bonus when fusing Personas of the (type) Arcana.
After that, you’ll get the following message every time you rank up the Social Link:
The Social Link has reached level (2-10), your power to create Personas of the (type) arcana has grown
The term Social Link was replaced with Confidant starting in Persona 5 and Persona 5 Royal. In addition, the announcement when unlocking a Confidant and Arcana was changed as well to sound more modern.
You’ve unlocked the (type) Confidant! Fusing Personas of the (type) Arcana will now grant you EXP due to Arcana Burst
And every time you increase your Confidant’s level, you’ll get the message:
You will now earn more EXP from Arcana bursts when fusing personas of the (type) Arcana
The Arcanas in Persona
I’ll be explaining what each Arcana is about, the Social Link or Confidants they’re tied to, and where the Personas under them are from. The focus will be on Persona 3, Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4, Persona 4 Golden, Persona 5, and Persona 5 Royal.
0 Fool Arcana
The Fool Arcana is typically held by the Protagonist in Persona games. It characterizes a journey that the MC is about to undergo and the unlimited potential they have in shaping their fate. The latter part is constantly mentioned throughout Persona 3 – 5 by the Velvet Room Attendants, especially Igor.
In accordance with the nature of this Arcana, its Personas are of heroes and mischievous personalities.
- Persona 3 – SEES
- Persona 4 – Investigation Team and Tohru Adachi (0 Jester) in Persona 4 Golden only
- Persona 5 – Igor
- Persona 3 – Orpheus (Protagonist’s first Persona), Legion, Ose, Black Frost, Decarabia, Loki, and Susano-o. Slime and Orpheus Telos are only available in Persona 3 portable
- Added in Persona 4 – Izanagi (Protagonist’s first Persona), Yomotsu-Shikome, Obariyon, Legion, Shiki-Ouji, and Magatsu-Izanagi (Villain’s Persona)
- Added in Persona 5 – Arsene (Protagonist’s first Persona), Obariyon, High Pixie, Bugs, Crystal Skull, Dionysus, Vishnu, and Satanael (Protagonist’s ultimate Persona). Raoul (Protagonist’s final Persona) is only available in Persona 5 royal
I Magician Arcana
As I discussed earlier in the What Is Arcana section of this guide, the Magician Arcana is often in the possession of the Protagonist’s male bestie. It’s also linked to confidence and taking action, so the characters associated with it are outgoing and loud, which obviously match Morgana and Yosuke’s personalities.
As the name implies, Personas in this category are fashioned after magicians or beings with fire-based power.
- Persona 3 – Kenji Tomochika or Junpei Iori when the player chooses the Female Protagonist in Persona 3 Portable
- Persona 4 – Yosuke Hanamura
- Persona 5 – Morgana and Takuto Maruki (Councillor) in Persona 5 Royal only
- Persona 3 – Nekomata, Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, Sati, Orobas, Rangda and Surt. Hermes and Trismegistus can only be used by Junpei Iori.
- Added in Persona 4 – Pixie, Hua Po, Dis, Jinn, and Mada. Jiraiya, Susano-o and Takahaya Susano-o (Only in Persona 4 Golden) can only be used by Yosuke Hanamura
- Added in Persona 5 – Jack O’Lantern, Nekomata, Sandman, Choronzon, Queen Mab, Futsunushi. Zorro, Mercurious, and Diego (Only in Persona 5 Royal) can only be used by Morgana
II Priestess Arcana
Characters of the Priestess Arcana are commonly reserved, humble and intelligent women, just like Fuuka, Yukiko, and Makoto. It’s because this Arcana is linked to wisdom and female spirituality. They’re the subtle voice of reason within the group that becomes louder as the MC helps them gain confidence.
Revered female figures in history and mythology are the models for the Personas of the Priestess Arcana.
- Persona 3 – Fuuka Yamagishi
- Persona 4 – Yukiko Amagi
- Persona 5 – Makoto Nijima
- Persona 3 – Apsaras, Unicorn, Sarasvati, Ganga, Parvati, Kikuri-Hime and Scathach. Lucia and Juno can only be used by Fuuka Yamagishi.
- Added in Persona 4 – Saki Mitama, High Pixie, Hariti, and Tzitzimitl. Konohana Sakuya, Amaterasu, and Sumeo-Okami (Only in Persona 4 Golden) can only be used by Yukiko Amagi
- Added in Persona 5 – Silky, Koh-i-Noor, Isis, Skadi, and Cybele. Johanna, Anat, and Agnes (Only in Persona 5 Royal) can only be used by Makoto Nijima
III Empress Arcana
True to the image of an Empress, Social Links and Confidants of this Arcana exhibit poise, elegance, and in Mitsuru and Haru’s case, wealth. Furthermore, the characters normally have access to power or authority, as the Arcana centers around them. Due to this, the relationship with the Empress Arcana gives the MC a view of an adult’s responsibilities.
Personas of the Empress Arcana are molded after noblewomen in high positions, motherly figures, and goddesses.
- Persona 3 – Mitsuru Kirijo
- Persona 4 – Margaret
- Persona 5 – Haru Okumura
- Persona 3 – Leanan Sidhe, Laksmi, Hariti, Gabriel, Mother Harlot, Skadi, and Alilat. Penthesilea and Artemisia can only be used by Mitsuro Kirijo
- Added in Persona 4 – Senri, Yaksini, Titania, Gorgon, and Isis
- Added in Persona 5 – Queen’s Necklace, Lamia, Dakini, and Kali. Milady, Astarte and Lucy (Only in Persona 5 Royal) can only be used by Haru Okumura
IV Emperor Arcana
According to its Tarot description, the Emperor Arcana indicates control over one’s life and creating their own rules. This is quite a match for Shadow Kanji and Yusuke’s circumstances, as both follow their own version of manhood and normalcy that goes against the norm.
You’ll also notice that the Emperor Arcana’s Personas are from strong male figures renowned for kingly or fatherly roles.
- Persona 3 – Hidetoshi Odagiri or Akihiko Sanada when the player chooses the Female Protagonist in Persona 3 Portable
- Persona 4 – Kanji Tatsumi
- Persona 5 – Yusuke Kitagawa
- Persona 3 – Forneus, Oberon, Take-Mikazuchi, King Frost, Raja Naga, Kingu, Barong, and Odin. Polydeuces and Caesar can only be used by Akihiko Sanada
- Added in Persona 4 – Setanta, Oukuninushi, Thoth, and Pabilsag. Take-Mikazuchi, Rokuten Maoh, and Takeji Zaiten (Only in Persona 4 Golden) can only be used by Kanji Tatsumi
- Added in Persona 5 – Regent, Eligor, Setanta, and Baal. Goemon, Kamu Susano-o and Gorokichi (Only in Persona 5 Royal) can only be used by Yusuke Kitagawa
V Hierophant Arcana
As the male equivalent of the Priestess, the Hierophant incorporates similar knowledgeable traits such as education and divinity. This is why the characters related to this Arcana act as guardians for the Protagonist. They offer sound guidance from the start until the end of the story.
Regarding Personas, those from the Hierophant Arcana are celestial or mystical beings that hold vital information.
- Persona 3 – Bunkichi and Mitsuko Kitamura
- Persona 4 – Ryotaro Dojima
- Persona 5 – Sojiro Sakura
- Persona 3 – Omoikane, Berith, Flauros, Hokuto Seikun, Ananta, Daisoujou and Kohryu. Castor can only be used by Shinjiro Aragaki
- Added in Persona 4 – Anzu, Shiisa, Unicorn, Cerberus, and Hachiman
- Added in Persona 5 – Orobas, Phoenix, and Bishamonten
VI Lovers Arcana
Faithful to its name, this Arcana revolves around romance, passion, and the union between two individuals. As such, it shouldn’t be a surprise that social and popular female characters reflect this Arcana in Social Links and Confidants.
The Personas from the Lovers Arcana are taken from the female halves of famous couples in history and folklore.
- Persona 3 – Yukari Takeba
- Persona 4 – Rise Kujikawa
- Persona 5 – Anne Takamaki
- Persona 3 – Pixie, Narcissus, Queen Mab, Saki Mitama, Titania, Raphael, and Cybele. Alp and Tam lin are only available in Persona 3 Portable. Io and Isis can only be used by Yukari Takeba
- Added in Persona 4 – Undine, Leanan Sidhe, and Ishtar. Himiko, Kanzeon, and Kouzeon (Only in Persona 4 Golden) can only be used by Rise Kujikawa
- Added in Persona 5 – Ame-no-Uzume, Kushinada, and Parvati. Carmen, Hecate, and Celestine (Only in Persona 5 Royal) can only be used by Anne Takamaki
VII Chariot Arcana
The Chariot is the sign of control or victory in war and battle. The energy that comes from this Arcana is evident in the aggressive attitudes of Chie and Ryuji, who are the rowdiest and most energetic members of their respective groups.
On that note, the Personas also mirror the same vibe since most of those in the Chariot Arcana are inspired by mighty warriors or deities of war.
- Persona 3 – Kazushi Miyamoto or Rio Iwasaki when the player chooses the Female Protagonist in Persona 3 Portable
- Persona 4 – Chie Satonaka
- Persona 5 – Ryuji Sakamoto
- Persona 3 – Ara Mitama, Chimera, Zouchouten, Ares, Oumitsunu, Nata Taishi, Koumokuten and Thor. Palladion and Pallas Athena can only be used by Aigis
- Added in Persona 4 – Slime, Nata Taishi, Eligor, Ares, Triglav, Kin-ki, Atavaka and Futsunushi
- Added in Persona 5 – Agathion, Shiisa, Shiki-Ouji, White Rider, Cerberus, and Chi You. Captain Kidd, Seiten Taisei, and William (Only in Persona 5 Royal) can only be used by Ryuji Sakamoto
VIII Justice Arcana
Individuals with a strong sense of justice and morality personify the Justice Arcana in Persona games. As a result, they’re much more mature than the other characters and like to share their thoughts on what’s right and wrong with the MC.
You can also easily distinguish Personas from this Arcana as they’re portrayed by angelic or righteous beings.
- Persona 3 – Chihiro Fushimi or Ken Amada when the player chooses the Female Protagonist in Persona 3 Portable
- Persona 4 – Nanako Dojima
- Persona 5 – Goro Akechi
- Persona 3 – Angel, Archangel, Principality, Power, Virtue, Dominion, Throne and Melchizedek, Nemesis, and Kala-Nemi can only be used by Ken Amada
- Added in Persona 4 – Uriel and Sraosha
- Added in Persona 5 – Metatron. Robin Hood, Loki, and Hereward (Only in Persona 5 Royal) can only be used by Goro Akechi
IX Hermit Arcana
In direct contrast to the Magician and Lovers Arcanas, which are lively and social, those who stand for the Hermit prefer the peace and quiet of solitude. This perfectly sums up the desires of Futaba and the Fox in particular.
Expressing the traits of an actual Hermit, Personas from this Arcana are creatures from mythology and folklore that hide from people or live solitary lives.
- Persona 3 – Maya or Saori Hasegawa when the player chooses the Female Protagonist in Persona 3 Portable
- Persona 4 – Fox
- Persona 5 – Futaba Sakura
- Persona 3 – Yomotsu-Shikome, Naga, Lamia, Taraka, Kurama Tengu, Nebiros and Arahabaki. Moros can only be used by Jin Shirato
- Added in Persona 4 – Forneus, Ippon-Datara, Lamia, Mothman, Hitokotonusi, Nidhoggr, and Ongyo-Ki
- Added in Persona 5 – Bicorn, Koropokkuru, Sudama, Naga, Kumbhanda, and Koumokuten. Necronomicon, Prometheus, and Al Azif (Only in Persona 5 Golden) can only be used by Futaba Sakura
X Fortune Arcana
To put it plainly, the Fortune Arcana deals with fate. And from what I’ve noticed, the Social Link or Confidant that embodies this Arcana has talents or special abilities that substantially influence the MC’s fate or luck.
Similarly, the Fortune Arcana Personas are demons or gods with power over time and fate.
- Persona 3 Keisuke Hiraga or Ryoji Mochizuki when the player chooses the Female Protagonist in Persona 3 Portable
- Persona 4 – Naoto Shirogane
- Persona 5 – Chihaya Mifune
- Persona 3 – Fortuna, Kusi Mitama, Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos, and Norn. Hypnos can only be used by Takaya Sakaki
- Added in Persona 4 – Ananta. Sukuna-Hikona, Yamato-Takeru, and Yamato Sumeragi (Only in Pesona 4 Golden) can only be used by Naoto Shirogane
- Added in Persona 5 – Stone of Scone, and Lakshmi
Related read: Stone of Scone Weakness Guide.
XI Strength Arcana
While the Tarot meaning of the Strength Arcana involves several aspects of courage, in Persona games, the focal point is the courage to handle physical and mental challenges. Hence, the characters correlated to this Arcana need the MC’s support in undertaking a strenuous issue.
Personas that are part of the Strength Arcana are crafted in the likeness of fighters and warriors from different mythologies.
- Persona 3 – Yuko Nishiwaki
- Persona 4 – Kou Ichijo or Daisuke Nagase
- Persona 5 – Caroline and Justine
- Persona 3 – Valkyrie, Titan, Jikokuten, Hanuman, Narasimha, Kali and Siegfried. Cerberus can only be used by Koromaru
- Persona 4 – Sandman, Rakshasa, Kusi Mitama, Oni, and Zaou-Gongen
- Persona 5 – Kelpie, Kushi Mitama, Orlov, and Zouchouten
XII Hanged Man Arcana
Stuck between two sides, the Hanged Man Arcana signifies sacrifice and transition in life. So the human representatives of this Arcana are likely in the process of 2 things. A drastic life-changing event like with Naoki or thinking about what choice to make in life like Munehisa Iwai.
The Personas of the Hanged Man Arcana are forged from self-sacrificing figures or those who lived as martyrs.
- Persona 3 – Maiko Oohashi
- Persona 4 – Naoki Konishi
- Persona 5 – Munehisa Iwai
- Persona 3 – Inugami, Take-Minakata, Orthus, Vasuki, Ubelluris and Attis. Medea can only be used by Chidori Yoshino
- Added in Persona 4 – Berith, Ikusa, Makami, Yatsufusa, Taowu, and Hell Biker
- Added in Persona 5 – Hua Po, Emperor’s Amulet, Hecatoncheires, and Moloch
XIII Death Arcana
It doesn’t always mean a physical death when the Death Arcana appears in Tarot readings. Yet the Social Link for Death since Persona 3 has been about its characters directly experiencing a form of loss or playing some part in it.
The kinds of Personas affiliated with this Arcana also deal with death, as they’re the different forms of the Grim Reaper from various cultures.
- Persona 3 – Pharos
- Persona 4 – Hisano Kuroda
- Persona 5 – Tae Takemi
- Persona 3 – Loa, Pale Rider, Samael, Mot, Alice and Thanatos
- Added in Persona 4 – Ghoul, Mokoi, Matador, and Mahakala
- Added in Persona 5 – Mandrake, Pisaca, Hope Diamond, and Chernobog
XIV Temperance Arcana
Seeing that the Temperance Arcana deals with balance, it’s fitting that balance is what’s lacking in the lives of the characters attached to this Arcana. For Persona 5’s Sadayo, she struggles with the guilt of her student’s death, and Persona 4’s Eri has conflicted emotions towards her stepson.
For the Personas of the Temperance Arcana they’re usually recreations of divine beasts or mystical demons.
- Persona 3 – Bebe
- Persona 4 – Eri Minami
- Persona 5 – Sadayo Kawakami
- Persona 3 – Nigi Mitama, Mithra, Genbu, Seiryuu, Oukuninushi, Suzaku and Byakko
- Added in Persona 4 – Apsaras, Sylph, Xiezhai, Yurlungur, and Vishnu
- Added in Persona 5 – Koppa Tengu, Makami, Jikokuten, Mithra, Raja Naga, Gabriel and Ardha
XV Devil Arcana
As one would expect of the Devil Arcana, it’s the representation of sin, primarily temptation and the selfishness of human nature. Looking back on what I’ve seen in the games, the traits align with the shady characters associated with the Arcana, such as the money-hungry Tanaka and unethical paparazzi, Ichiko.
Of course, devils and other wicked creatures make up the list of Personas in the Devil Arcana.
- Persona 3 – President Tanaka
- Persona 4 – Sayoko Uehara
- Persona 5 – Ichiko Ohya
- Persona 3 – Lilim, Vetala, Incubus, Succubus, Lilith, Abaddon, and Beelzebub
- Added in Persona 4 – Ukobach, Pazuzu, Belphegor, and Belial
- Added in Persona 5 – Andras, Flauros, Baphomet, and Nebiros
XVI Tower Arcana
It doesn’t look like it, but the Tower is a kindred Arcana to Death as it foretells incoming trouble or chaos. Though the human symbols of this Arcana aren’t bringers of doom, they are prickly and have unpleasant attitudes. Their relationship with the MC reveals the hardships one has to face when attempting to gain respect or affection from family and society.
When it comes to Personas under its belt, they come from figures that have tarnished reputations or deliverers of strife to the land.
- Persona 3 – Mutatsu
- Persona 4 – Shu Nakajima
- Persona 5 – Shinya Oda
- Persona 3 – Eligor, Cu Chulainn, Uriel, Bishamonten, Seiten Taisei, Masakado, Shiva and Chi You
- Added in Persona 4 – Tao Tie, Abaddon, Mara, and Yoshitsune
- Added in Persona 5 – Jatayu, Red Rider, Magatsu, Seth, black Rider, and Mada
XVII Star Arcana
Defined by hope, kindness, and other positive qualities, the Star Arcana is appropriately conveyed in human form by the characters linked to the Arcana. From what I’ve seen, Teddie and Akihiko are pillars of support to the Protagonists, and they serve as one of the main guiding lights in Persona 3 and 4.
Meanwhile, the Persona designs are on the literal side cause they’re based on figures and creatures from astrology and astronomy.
- Persona 3 – Mamoru Hayase or Akihiko Sanada when the player chooses the Female Protagonist in Persona 3 Portable
- Persona 4 – Teddie
- Persona 5 – Hifumi Togo
- Persona 3 – Nandi, Kaiwan, Ganesha, Garuda, Saturnus and Lucifer
- Added in Persona 4 – Neko Shogun, Fuu-Ki, Kartikeya and Helel. Kintoki-Douji, Kamui, and Kamui-Moshiri (Only in Persona 4 Golden) can only be used by Teddie
- Added in Persona 5 – Kodama, Ananta, Hanuman, Cu Chulainn, and Sraosha
XVIII Moon Arcana
Creativity and illusion are the two sides to the Moon Arcana. But the Persona games choose to concentrate on displaying the latter in the Social Links and Confidant of the Moon Arcana. That’s why Nozomi, Shinjiro, Ai, and Yuuki put on a harsh and hostile facade that the Protagonists eventually unveiled.
Moon Arcana Personas are customarily beings with a relationship or ties with the moon or have powers of illusion.
- Persona 3 – Nozomi Suemitsu or Shinjiro Aragaki when the player chooses the Female Protagonist in Persona 3 Portable
- Persona 4 – Ai Ebihara
- Persona 5 – Yuuki Mishima
- Persona 3 – Gurr, Yamatano-Orochi, Girimehkala, Dionysus, Chernobog, Seth and Sandalphon
- Added in Persona 4 – Andra, Nozuchi, Alraune, Sui-Ki, and Baal Zebul
- Added in Persona 5 – Succubus, Onmoraki, Nue, Black Ooze, Mothman, and Lilith
XIX Sun Arcana
Unlike the previous Arcanas, which are mostly about the dark side of humanity, the Sun Arcana is solely about positivity and optimism. The characters under this Arcana also exude the same eagerness and positive mindset.
With that said, it’s not shocking that the Personas connected to this Arcana are sun or light gods or deities.
- Persona 3 – Akinari Kamiki
- Persona 4 – Yumi Ozawa or Ayane Matsunaga
- Persona 5 – Toranosuke Yoshida
- Persona 3 – Yatagarasu, Quetzalcoatl, Jatayu, Horus, Metatron, Vishnu, and Asura
- Added in Persona 4 – Cu Sith, Phoenix, Gdon, Narasimha, Tam Lin, and Suparna
- Added in Persona 5 – Suzaku, Mithras, Yurlungur, and Ganesha
XX Judgement Arcana
The Judgement Arcana is split between knowing what’s right and wrong and is in the position to interact with both sides. For this reason, it’s mostly depicted as the Social Link of the Protagonists’ group that automatically levels up as the story proceeds.
As you can probably assume from the pattern of the Persona designs so far, this Arcana’s Personas are of divine messengers who bring the hand of judgment to humans.
- Persona 3 – Nyx Annihilation Team and Aigis (Aeon) in Persona 3 Portable
- Persona 4 – Seekers of Truth and Marie (Aeon) in Persona 4 Golden only
- Persona 5 – Sae Nijima
- Persona 3 – Anubis, Trumpeter, Michael, Satan, and Messiah
- Persona 4 – Metatron, Ardha, and Lucifer
- Persona 5 – Yamato no Orochi, Abaddon, and Shiva
Unnumbered Faith Arcana
Having faith and belief in oneself are the prime characteristics of this Arcana, which its Confidant, Kasumi, is missing in Persona 5 Royal. Only when she begins to interact with the Protagonist does she start to gain it.
The muses for the Faith Arcana Personas are great warriors or supernatural beasts.
- Persona 5 Royal – Kasumi/Sumire Yoshizawa
- Persona 5 Royal – Phoenix, Tam Lin, Unicorn, Okuninushi, Orichalcum, Atavaka, Cu Chulainn, Siegfried and Maria. Cendrillon, Vanadis, and Ella can only be used by Kasumi/Sumire Yoshizawa
Question: Does a Player Have to be Familiar with Arcanas to Understand a Persona Game?
Answer: No. Cause although Arcanas have a prominent role in the game, not knowing what they mean and symbolize will not affect the flow of the story in any way.
Question: What’s the Strongest Persona?
Answer: Ideally, the strongest Persona in each game is the Protagonist’s ultimate Persona. It’s Messiah for Persona 3, Izanagi-no-Okami for Persona 4, and Satanael in Persona 5.
Question: Is Persona Related to Real Tarot Cards?
Answer: Yes. The relevance of Arcanas in the Persona series is inspired by the actual Tarot cards used for Tarot card games or Tarot readings. Moreover, the designs of the Arcana in Persona are based on the Tarot cards’ illustrations.
Is being knowledgeable about Arcanas necessary to understand the game? No. Cause first and foremost, you’ll still be able to have fun playing a Persona game even if you don’t know the older titles or aren’t familiar with any Shin Megami Tensei games at all.
There’s no need to know about its background to appreciate the captivating graphics or admire the engaging storytelling. However, I honestly feel that blindly jumping into a Persona game will make you miss out on additional content that could improve your gaming experience.
Knowing the value and influence of the Arcanas in the Persona series will give you a detailed look at every aspect of the game. It’s kind of like the difference between watching a movie in a regular cinema and IMAX.
You’ll basically get the same content but with a higher definition. So if you want to fully comprehend the Persona game you’re about to check out, this guide is undoubtedly worth reading.
- Persona 5 Funko Pop Guide - June 16, 2022
- Arcana Persona Guide - June 16, 2022
- Ken Amada Guide - May 18, 2022